Accessing MSOE's VPN
Most campus servers are "behind the firewall" and so must be accessed in one
of three ways:
Note you can only use Global Protect while outside the campus network -
you do not need it if you are already on the campus network.
- Connecting to MSOE wireless (not MSOE-Guest).
- Plugging in a campus network cable.
- Running software such as Global Protect to access the campus VPN
private network) so that the network considers you to be on campus.
This page describes connecting via the VPN for school
laptops, other Windows
computers, Macs, and Linux
systems. NOTE: you only need to do this when you are
off campus. If you are on the campus network, you are already
behind the firewall.
Laptops with the MSOE image. If you've installed Windows yourself or
GlobalProtect is not already installed, go to
the next section.
- Use the start menu to run GlobalProtect. It may also be in your
system tray. If not, use Software Center to install it.
- When GlobalProtect starts up, click on the Settings tab and enter
your campus user name (without @msoe.edu), campus password,
and sslvpn.msoe.edu as the portal.
- Click Apply.
- Right click on the notification icon
and select Connect.
If you are not able to connect, try
uninstalling GlobalProtect and reinstall it as described in the next section.
Point your browser
(don't forget the s on https), enter your username and
password, and download the appropriate
agent. See How-To
Geek if you're not sure which you need. Install the software and go
to the school laptop section. If Global Protect does
not prompt for a username and password after installation, try rebooting
the computer. It should then prompt for the information when you restart
As of 2018 (at least), connection using iPhones and other iOS devices is
not supported. There is a GlobalProtect iOS client, but it is not covered
by MSOE's license.
The GlobalProtect client for OS X systems (Macs, etc.) is working as of
summer, 2017 using the same settings as for Windows (above). It is also
possible to create a VPN connection, but this was
not working as of fall, 2017. The directions for creating a VPN connection
should GlobalProtect stop working:
- Open system preferences and click on Network
- Click on the + in the bottom left of the connections list window.
- Set interface to VPN, VPN type to Cisco IPSec, and enter "MSOE SSL
VPN" for the service name. Click Create.
- Enter sslvpn.msoe.edu for the server address, and
enter your campus username and password.
- Click on Authentication Settings...
- Enter "raiders" for the shared secret and set the group name to "MSOE".
- Check "Show VPN status in menu bar" - enabling this makes it simple
to connect and disconnect.
- Click Connect.
- Open a terminal window and enter
sudo apt-get install -y network-manager-vpnc
- Once the laptop reboots, open System Settings and select Network.
- Click on the + in the lower left
- Set the interface to VPN and click Create...
- Set VPN Connection Type to "Ciso Compatible VPN" and click Create...
- Enter "MSOE SSL VPN" for the connection name
- On the VPN tab, set the Gateway to sslvpn.msoe.edu
- Enter your username
- Set password status to Saved and enter your password
- Set the Group name to "MSOE"
- Set the Group password status to Saved and enter "raiders"
- Click Save...
- Leave the domain blank
- Close the network connections window
- Select VPN Connections from the connections dropdown on the top right